If the IRS rejects your e-filed return due to duplication, you must take corrective action before re-submitting your tax return. In this article, we will learn how to reapply for Form 2290.
The following points will guide you through the process of correcting the issue:
1. Verify the Vehicle Identification Numbers (VINs) – Check the VINs listed on your return to ensure they are correct and do not match any previously filed returns. If the IRS identifies duplicate VINs, they will reject your return.
2. Correct the duplication – If the IRS has rejected your return due to duplication, you need to correct it before re-submitting. This may involve electronically correcting the VINs or submitting a paper return with the corrected information. Check the designated “VIN correction” box on page 1 if you are correcting VINs on a previously accepted return.
3. Explain any changes in VIN – If the new VIN you submit differs from what was listed on your original return, you must explain the change. This could be due to a mistake in the original VIN, or you sold the vehicle and bought a new one with a different VIN.
4. Wait for processing – Once you have corrected the duplication and re-submitted your return, you must wait for the IRS to process it. The processing time can vary, so be patient and check the status of your return periodically.
5. Follow up – If you are still waiting to hear back from the IRS after a reasonable time, you should follow up to ensure your return has been processed and accepted. You can check the status of your return online or by contacting the IRS directly.
In summary, if your e-filed return is rejected due to duplication, you should verify the VINs, correct any duplication, explain if needed, and follow up with the IRS to ensure that your corrected return has been processed and accepted.
E-filing 2290 (3) File From 2290 (1) Form 2290 (7) Form 2290 amendment (1) Form 2290 Penalties (1) Form 8849 (1) Free VIN Correction (1) General Instructions (1) HVUT (2) IRS From 2290 (4) IRS regulations (3) Stamped Schedule 1 (1) Vehicle Identification Number (1) VIN correction (1) VIN Correction Online (1)